The opening week of Major League Baseball’s 2022 season has arrived. Baseball’s Opening Day is set for Thursday, when 18 of the 30 teams take play their openers. The remaining 12 teams get things going on Friday, April 8. For the first time ever, there will be a 12-team playoff field in 2022, and it is the largest postseason field ever in a full season. In theory, at least, that should mean more teams than ever realistically have a chance at winning the pennant heading into Opening Day.
Let’s take a look at the 2022 Opening Day schedule.
MLB Opening Day schedule
(All times Eastern)
Thursday, April 7
- Yankees vs. Red Sox, 1:05 p.m.
- Cubs vs. Brewers, 2:20 p.m.
- Nationals vs. Mets, 4:05 p.m.
- Royals vs. Guardians, 4:10 p.m.
- Twins vs. Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
- Cardinals vs. Pirates, 4:15 p.m.
- Braves vs. Reds, 8:08 p.m.
- Angels vs. Astros, 9:38 p.m.
- D-Backs vs. Padres, 9:40 p.m.
Friday, April 8
- Tigers vs. White Sox, 1:10 p.m.
- Phillies vs. Athletics, 3:05 p.m.
- Rays vs. Orioles, 3:10 p.m.
- Rockies vs. Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
- Giants vs. Marlins, 4:35 p.m.
- Blue Jays vs. Rangers, 7:07 p.m.
Opening Day also brings some terrific, ace vs. ace pitching matchups. The Opening Day starter role is coveted among starting pitchers and has been for decades. By no means does it really define anything predictive moving forward, but it’s an honor. Here’s the all-time leaderboard for Opening Day starts:
- Tom Seaver: 16
- Steve Carlton: 14
Jack Morris: 14
Randy Johnson: 14
Walter Johnson: 14
And now here’s who will get the ball for their teams to start 2022.
2022 Opening Day starting pitcher tracker
Opening Day starting pitchers